Solar Corona (Essence)
(By Cyrus J.Kalbrener)
This uses 1 sphere, 3 disks and 2 Essence textures.
- First use varyabsrgb to create changes subtle changes on the
suns surface between white hot and light yellow.
- Then use a disk for the corona, rotate the oject axis so that
the y axis was perpendicular to the surface of the disk and add
the cylindturb texture with the z axis extending perpendicular
from the surface of the disk. We used cylindturb because we could
translate the texture along it's z axis to create the illusion of
movement much more effectively than radialturb.
- Then add another disk and place it less than 1 unit behind the
first, apply the radial Impulse texture to create the glare around
- Now apply radial to another disk, this time making it black
to blot out the stars behind the corona that would show through
the glare (it looks pretty unrealistic without it).
- Make sure all objects are bright, and parent the second and third
disks to the first. We can save the sun itself as one object,
and the corona group as a second object. In the stage editor
track the corona to the camera so that it would always be
perpendicular to the camera (only good if the camera is moving a
Last Update: July 13, 1995
Back to Ian's HomePage. --
Up to FAQ #8 Index